A Friday afternoon fire damaged part of the Taste of China restaurant in Albemarle Square. The call went to a second alarm just before 1:30 p.m. Friday (Jan. 18). Deputy Chief of Albemarle Fire & Rescue, David Puckett, says it started in the hood of a stove and spread to the attic area:
Smoke was coming from the eaves in the rear of the building, and firefighters got on the roof to contain the fire (pictured). Some nearby businesses in the north section of Albemarle Square were evacuated as a precaution.